A simple one from me today. A loose floral cotton frock that I’m pretty sure came from the old Watton Street Vinnies in Werribee before it turned into a Gluten Free shop. Accessorised with daisies in my plaits from Mum’s garden, and my straw handbag from Vietnam that I like to think is a bit tiki.
So just to be very clear, this Frocktober malarkey isn’t simply an exercise in vanity. (What a poorly judged exercise that would be in my case!) It’s actually a fundraiser for ovarian cancer research. I’m spending the month drawing attention to this insidious disease. Here are those facts:
- Every ten hours, one woman dies from ovarian cancer in Australia
- Ovarian cancer is the leading cause of death of all gynaecological cancers
- Unlike other cancers, there is NO early detection test
- Over 50% of the community incorrectly believe a pap smear diagnoses ovarian cancer
- Ovarian cancer has a lower survival rate than both breast and cervical cancer
- When detected and treated early 80-100% of women will survive beyond five years compared with only 20-30% when diagnosed at a late stage
You can learn more about ovarian cancer at the Ovarian Cancer Research Foundation website.
And you can make a small difference by donating through my page here.